Brenda Smith focuses her practice on commercial and business litigation matters, working with clients to resolve a range of disputes, such as breaches of contract, negligence, fraud, insurance disputes, transportation matters, and construction disputes. She serves as the Treasurer of the Firm’s Executive Committee and plays a crucial role in overseeing the overall management of the firm, helping to set strategic goals and direction.
In addition to her commercial and business litigation work, Brenda also has extensive experience representing clients in probate and trust proceedings, including guardianship and conservatorship matters. She helps clients navigate through complex legal proceedings related to estate planning and administration, protecting their interests, and ensuring that their wishes are followed.
Brenda assists transportation clients in various litigation and dispute matters, including personal injury and wrongful death claims. In addition, she also assists in the oversight of retained insurance counsel across the United States, serving as national and general counsel to various clients. In her role as national and general counsel, Brenda advises clients on various litigation strategies and provides hands-on management of the matter from the time of the collision or dispute, until the matter is dismissed or resolved.
Throughout the litigation process, Brenda is actively involved in every step, from commencing the litigation or providing a defense, conducting discovery, participating in the trial, and engaging in the appellate process, if needed. She is skilled in representing clients in federal and state courts, arbitration, and mediation, and has a deep understanding of the legal principles and procedures.
- Represented oppressed minority shareholders and obtained a verdict in excess of $1,000,000, which included damages and attorney fees.
- Represented a trustee in a lawsuit where alleged damages totaled more than $7,000,000.
- Represented trucking companies in resolution of disputes involving catastrophic and serious injuries
- Represented various construction companies in litigation, governmental agency actions, and other dispute matters.
- Represented the guardian and conservator of the ward at trial and appellate courts in a highly contested probate proceeding.
Professional Affiliations and Community Involvement
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys
- Leadership Omaha Class 39
- Midlands Business Journal 40 Under 40 Award
- Lutheran Family Services, Board of Directors
- Memories for Kids, Board of Directors
- Friends Board of Children’s Hospital and Medical Center
- Nebraska Medicine Guild, Board of Directors
- Junior League of Omaha, past President
- TeamMates Gala Committee, past Chair
- Litigation, Trial Practice & Dispute Resolution
- Commercial and Contract Disputes
- Construction Litigation
- Trucking Litigation
- Insurance Disputes
- Products Liability
- Real Estate Litigation
- Shareholder Disputes
- Tax Disputes
- Department of Labor Audits
- Employment Litigation
- Probate and Trust Proceedings
- Guardianship & Conservatorship Proceedings
- State of Nebraska
- State of Iowa
- State of Kansas
- State of Missouri
- United States District Court, District of Nebraska
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., with high distinction, 2007
- Nebraska Wesleyan University, B.S., Political Science with high distinction, 2004
Dvorak Law Group is proud to be Legalink’s Midwestern representative, permitting the firm to handle clients’ legal needs on local, national, and international levels. Legalink is a non-exclusive, international legal network of over 70 independent business-oriented law firms and is composed of 4,000 legal professionals. Learn More »